The All Saints school council is a proactive group of children elected by their fellow pupils to represent their opinions and think about new ideas to make sure our school stays happy, safe and exciting. The school council takes forward projects on behalf of the children from all classes and is involved in things like the school developmental plan, supporting the governing body and interviewing current and potential new staff.
To be effective, our school council does the following:
- Represents all pupils and includes as many people as possible
- Takes time to listen to all children and allows them to communicate their views
- Feeds back to the children about what happened about their views
- Makes things happen - or explains why they can't!
The Council Selection Process
The representatives are elected through a democratic process: whereby, they write an application form expressing their desire to do the job and also highlight and ideas they have that would enhance the school and the school community. They have to present themselves to their class and the rest of the children have to then decide who they felt would be best for the job, via a secret ballet.
School council members are nominated and then voted in by the class peers - they are not chosen by the teachers!
1 child from each class are elected and then have the opportunity to raise issues, share ideas and take part in discussions that involves all of their class peers in reaching a democratic solution.
Who Are The School Council?
9 children will be elected and presented to the rest of the school, along with them receiving their official school council badges. Photographs of each child will also be on the school council display board and this ensures that all children are aware of who they are, if they need any advice or have any ideas, they would like to be brought up in a school council meeting.
Chair Person: Poppy Wheatstone
Vice Chair & Secretary: Aliya Jaffer
School Council Representatives: Gabreil Peers, Montaiah Nunnley, Yigit Budak, Mia Piesko, Aliya Jaffer, Surveer Singh, Poopy Wheatstone and Fatima Haider
Staff Member Representative: Mr Cutler-Thomas
What Will They Be Involved In?
Wider issues that arise are discussed further at school council; this ensures that as many pupil voices as possible are heard. Pupils at All Saints know that this is their school and their thoughts and ideas matter!
- They will be involved in writing an action plan for the year ahead.
- The Chair of the meeting will lead all meetings with an adult ( Mr Cutler-Thomas ) assisting with the meeting.
- An ' agenda ' will be presented in advance of meetings to ensure that all representatives are aware of what they will be discussing.
- Children will jot down any issues, concerns, worries or ideas that they wish to discuss at they have received from their class peers.
- At the meeting the Chair will raise the first item on the agenda and invite the person who write it to explain their points of view.
- The Chair will invite the rest of the council to discuss the matter and reach some sort of resolution.
- The Secretary then makes a note of what has been decided in the school council minutes and they will be uploaded on to our school website.
When Are The School Council Meetings?
The school council meetings will take place within The Ark Nurture Base on the first Monday Afternoon of each month at 14.50 - 15.10.